Tuesday, March 17, 2009

We are home!

Hi Friends and Family,

We made it home and things are....difficult. Thank you to all who greeted us at the airport, that was a real treat. Mia was so excited to see her friends and Colin seemed to join right in on the wild bunch.

Things were going well at home (first 5-10 minutes) until Colin met Chili Dog. Let's just say it will take some time for Colin to warm up to a dog. Chili, on the other hand, likes Colin just a little too much. I know the tides will turn and it will eventually be Colin who is tormenting Chili Dog, but not now.

Kids are up at all different times of night (its daytime in China) so we have got to figure out a way to at least all sleep from 8-2 or 2-6. Right now it is some one, some the other and parents none (or very little). Colin is crying and threw up again yesterday morning. He has a cold and this may have something to do with it. I do think we had a breakthrough at nap. He went into his usual fit mode, kicking and pushing me away. But then, he stopped, reached out for me and put his head down in my shoulder and cried and cried, hugging me. I am no psychologist but think this means he is bonding or something good is happening. It sure made things easier on me, as I was able to comfort him by humming frere jacques (are you sleeping) which he sings in Chinese (I don't know how he learned this.) Anyway, being able to comfort him and hug him was an incredible feeling.

He continues to talk....all in Chinese. I am sure he has decided someone in this family has to switch languages and it is just as easy for us to learn Chinese as for him to learn English. We were saved yesterday by Angela, Madeline's friend, who came over and translated for us. It was great to have her talk with him and tell us what he wanted. Thanks to Angela, we all had a pretty good day. He did tell Angela he likes his new home (but that the dog wants to eat him.)

We are playing Disney movies in Chinese which he loves (and seem to comfort him). I am firing up the rice cooker today (thanks Koko) and we are trying to establish a routine. He continues to get very frustrated and upset, but overall I think is doing as well as can be expected given all the changes in his world.

This weekend we look forward to John Bentley from Harmony Outreach being in town. Even though we are happily focused on Colin, we know there are many orphans who need a home....a mama and a baba. Please pray for them and spread the message about the miracle of adoption.

T

2 comments:

  1. welcome home! we'll pray for peace, joy, sleep and communication for you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome Home and Congratulations on your new son! I just found your blog and have enjoyed reading about your time in China. We just received our PA for our daughter in Shenyang so I appreciate the information.

    ReplyDelete